Hull & East Riding Snooker League

News Report

News Report

Mark Beetham and Steve Waller retain Doubles prize


Preston pair hold onto title

Mark Beetham and Steve Waller refused to relinquish their grip on the Doubles Knockout trophy, winning for the second successive year at Cottingham Memorial tonight.

They started the evening with an all-Preston semi-final against Andy and Louis Clark, giving 11 points start per frame.  In a fairly edgy first frame, it was a 23 visit from Mark that was the main contribution before Andy and Louis conceded the frame 40 points behind.

The handicap was overturned in the second frame thanks to a 25 from Steve before Andy responded with 21 to edge back in front.  Having retaken the lead, Mark stepped in with yellow to blue and, needing snookers, Andy and Louis were unable to prevent Steve from taking the pink to close out the match.

Clarence E's Karl and Terry Houghton took on Simon Duplock and Kelvin Ford from WIlliam Gemmell E in the other semi-final.  With the pairs separated by only four points on the handicap, a close encounter was expected.  However, it was Karl and Terry that made the running, stretching their lead to 41 points.  Simon and Kelvin managed to reduce the deficit to 24 points as the colours beckoned, but Terry cleared from yellow to blue to secure the first frame.

The second frame proceeded in a similar vein as Terry extended the lead with a 24 and, with Simon and Kevin unable to capitalise on their chances, a further 21 visit from Terry was enough to clinch his and Karl's place in the final.

Having reached the final without losing a frame throughout the competition, Karl and Terry, armed with a 32 point start per frame, must have fancied their chances.  But it was Mark and Steve that chipped away at the lead, eventually arriving at the colours four points to the good.  An excellent long yellow from Steve, followed by green, brown and blue was enough to take a 1-0 lead.

Both pairs were finding it difficult to score heavily when presented with chances, allowing Karl and Terry to cling onto much of their start, arriving at the colours 26 in front.  A missed yellow stood between them and a decider before Steve swept up the first five colours to leave a black ball game.  After a brief safety exchange, the first chance fell to Mark and he made no mistake, ensuring that he and Steve could keep hold of the trophy for another year.

18 Views - Last updated: 22/03/23


Never miss an update

Follow the site to get the latest news and results straight to your email

Follow us